Sunday, October 19, 2008

Finally!

Sorry I haven't blogged in a few weeks but things have been crazy! But it's okay because finally...FINALLY I am in Ireland! Now you have to forgive me if I start going off on random tangents b/c at this point i'm running on the 4 hours of sleep I got on the plane overseas. So here is a rundown of my day/2 days!


Basically my flights are kinda boring. Everything went very smoothly and there weren't any problems. My Aer Lingus flight was on a huge plane that was half empty so there was plenty of room to stretch out! There was also a baller in flight entertainment system with tons of movies and tv episodes and games etc. Needless to say I was fascinated and I watched Baby Mama on the way over with my own remote control. So cool lol. Also Aer Lingus served dinner and a light breakfast on the flight which I have to say was quite good!
Customs was interesting. It took no time at all but the lady just didn't understand how I could be here for 3 months to teach without being paid. She let me through anyway though!


Ok so flights went smoothly but when I arrived at the airport my troubles began with my now least favorite thing....my international cell phone. Basically I got to the airport and wasn't able to call my host family so I had to convert my money to Euro ($20 = about 13.60 Euro), save 7 Euro for the bus ride and use a pay phone. Well no one picked up and I started to panic until Haley saved the day and called me back....on the pay phone! Haley is my host family's 11 yr old daughter by the way.


So after I let them know that I was at the airport and about to board the bus I got on the bus that was to take me to an area close to my host family. There were several stops along the way and we went through the heart of Dublin which was just awesome and is much smaller than I had imagined...but I have only seen it by bus :)


I got off at my stop and Steve (my host dad) and Haley came to pick me up! They live about 10 minutes outside of Dublin in their neighborhood is really nice! It took me a second to adjust to riding on the other side of the car and on the other side of the road, but it kept me entertained! I gave Haley the Nim's Island DVD I brought her and she was quite excited and we watched it together later with much interruption from her friends who were fascinated by me. Now I know what zoo animals feel like lol, but they weren't all bad.


I met Di (my host mom) really quickly then she had to run, so I unpacked a little, downed a coffee and chilled with Steve and watched "Something For The Weekend" basically like the UK version of a morning talk show. Later we went to Haley's swim lesson, I got to talk to Di a bit more and Steve fixed my phone...kinda. The swim lessons were at Newpark (my school) so I got to see a bit of that and after they were over we went on a drive. Steve had shown me earlier were to walk to the bus stop and what bus to take. Di took me down to the coast and I got my first look at the Irish Sea aka the water between the UK and Ireland. It was so beautiful even for the kinda windy/rainy weather! Later I discovered I could see the Irish Sea from my window!






Ok so the area between the trees and the house in the very back...kinda hazy but that's the Irish Sea! View from my window!






So basically now all I want to do is sleep but apparently the only way to limit jet lag is to stay up for as long as you can. I was told I can go to be about 8pm after dinner (3pm U.S. time). I'm off to read a bit now! Struggling to stay awake for another 2 hours!

2 comments:

Abby said...

Jet Lag succkkssssssssssssss :) You'll be fine in a day or two promise..then you get the play the mind trip game of "man it's 12 pm here but it's only 7 am at home..no one is on facebook!" :) :)

Glad everything went smoothly..can't wait to see you next monday! :) :) :)

jspace said...

i would like to come visit you.. how do you think i would handle myself as a stowaway on a boat? good or bad?